.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Frank

Viki
Thursday, August 04, 2005
 
Fuck People's Energy
OK... my gas was mysteriously shut off a couple of days ago. My account is in good standing, etc, so I called the gas company (People's Energy) today to find out what the problem was.

Turns out that a tenent in the lower apartment (I'm in a 3-flat) didn't pay his gas so his service was interrupted. The gas company couldn't access his apartment so they SHUT OFF THE GAS TO THE ENTIRE BUILDING, as confirmed by the guy who came to turn my gas back on.

Well, he couldn't turn my gas back on because, since it's shut off for the building, he has to go into every apartment to make sure there's no appliance on or anything.

So, basically, since I don't really see my neighbors, I'm fucking fucked, and People's Energy is the culprit behind this. Hopefully my roommate will talk to his lawyer boss and find out if I can do anything about it.
Comments:
Call placed to the Chicago Department of Consumer Services at 312 744 9400.

Call placed to the Illinois Commerce Commission at 1800 524 0795.
 
Complaint filed!

The ICC guy rocked, and he got People's Energy on the line and basically got them to admit that they fucked up. He filed a complaint for me. Now I'm just waiting to talk to a lawyer.
 
Handy reference:

Chicago Tenents Rights.
 
OK, landlord came out, let the PE dude in to everyone's apartments, and the gas is back on...

...but my hot water heater won't re-engage. Argh. Will this ever end?
 
Those bastards! You might file with the Better Business Bureau too. (http://www.bbb.org/)
 
OK, so, half a week later, People's Energy *finally* gets back to me. "Jim" or whatever his name is, is pretty shitty on the phone. "So, you filed a complaint with the ICC, eh?" I sure fucking did, Jim. Anyway, he apologized (so what) and gave me a $25 credit on my gas bill. Again: so what. The credit doesn't obligate me to anything, and I'm still calling the ICC back in a week to check the status of my complaint (People's Energy has 14 days to respond.)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger