.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Frank

Viki
Friday, January 28, 2005
 
angry post
(I really have no intention of making any apologies here. But it is Frank’s blog, so if my frustrations are not welcome here, that’s fine, I’ll just find something mind-numbing-absurd to take its place. Gee, I’m sounding more and more hateful with every breath. So much for my promotion of non-violence and peace. I think it is time to re-embrace the whoop-ass-attitude.)

Education secretary condemns public show with gay characters
Firstly, this is wrong. There are not gay characters. Buster, the rabbit is visiting a lesbian family - they are not characters on the show. He is visiting them, as friends. I mean, this is like saying that Ellen can have a show, but can't host it because she is a lesbian. Or rather, Ian McKellen can't be a guest on the Tonight Show because he's gay, even though the topic is about lord of the rings, and not about sexuality. What I'm saying? It's not about the family being lesbians, it's about family. Period.

Spellings wants PBS money back
And you know what, once you have donated money - you don't get it back. That's why it is called a donation. It's not like some sort of stock market, when you put money in, and when you don't like how things are going, take it out again.

Leave Buster Behind.
As for homosexuality being an epidemic, that's just fine. I shall lead a force so great, we shall destroy all those who have opposed us for so long, I shall smite the ruin of all who would see us destroyed.

* * *

I am a supporter of PBS. It used to be "free" from all those other big networks, it used to provide education and news without the influence of special interest. But now a show, which I have been know to watch is being censored for exposing (note, NOT promoting) viewers to a lesbian couple. "Postcards from Buster" and spin-off of "Arthur" are shows I have been known to watch, and explore all aspects of different people and cultures. I first watched it when it dealt with a character who has dyslexia (like myself). The show also explores religions from Mormonism to the Islamic faith.But now, with all this diversity, there is one sort still not tolerated? I’m sorry. I thought we were teaching our children tolerance, not ignorance and fear.

But now a children’s show is being accused of promoting a "gay agenda". What the hell is a gay agenda? I think I would be aware of such a thing if it existed. I mean, my god. Yes, MY GOD. Andrea Lafferty, of the Traditional Values Coalition (WTF is that supposed to mean?!) says: "American’s and tax-payers don’t want their dollars spent promoting homosexuality". I’m sorry. So us homosexuals don’t pays taxes? We aren’t Americans?! Fuck you lady! See if I pay any more taxes to this country!

Comments:
I'm not gay, however I do have children who watch these shows (don't forget about Spongebob being accused last week of pushing a gay agenda-what could be more asexual than a sponge?). In addition, I am a taxpayer, an American, and a PBS supporter.

Many shows aimed at children these days, in fact I would say most shows, have at least a surface impression of diversity. Considering the white-washed town I live in, I value the fact that through the miracle of television (is my sarcasm apparent there?), my children might see that not everyone in the world is white and blond. (Even if it is going right over their heads). However, diversity is not just about race and religion. If I am going to use television as a tool to expose my children to the diversity they will encounter when they leave this white-washed world, I damn sure want every angle of that diversity to be covered. It is up to ME to decide whether or not I want my children exposed to an "alternative" family (as opposed to "traditional"-whatever that really is-in my neighborhood I suppose it would consist of two parents who work long hours, a few spoiled and ill-behaved children, and their nanny!)

That said, my hope is this-the more the government and its far-right leaning, zealous, and uppity financial supporters lean on our rights, the more angry we will get, and more of us will get angry. You will find that more and more white-washed-world moms and dads will start thinking "WTF? I want my kids to see that episode! And I donated top dollar in order to get the Grateful Dead DVD and live CD!"

The world is changing. We might be taking baby steps, but they are steps nonetheless. The more outrageous the conduct of the far right zealot fundamentalist weirdos, the more "regular" people will notice. Do not be disheartened, just stay mad, and verbal. Changes in community-wide, country-wide, or world-wide consciousness take time, and these changes are imperceptible, yet they happen. If they didn't, I'd be wearing a corset right now, and I wouldn't be able to go to college, if I'd even made it that far. We'd still be in caves, would we not?

I really should never post or comment on other people's posts before noon.

All I really wanted to tell you is that you aren't the only one who thinks this is stupid, and outrageous. Regular, heterosexual, white "security Moms" think it's stupid and outrageous too.
 
People that make KJ upset make me upset.
 
Yes, I am Viki who goes to Columbia and brought my daughter to the reading. I had a class with Frank and now that the semester is over find that I can't live without him and have to peruse his blog on a daily basis.

Who are you and how do you know me. You have the same initials as my father and now I'm a little scared.
 
Ah, Katherine. Yeah! Good thing. What a teeny tiny little world this is.
 
Boston.com / A&E / TV / Sweet 'Buster' is far from radicalI ran across this, and thought it would interest you, KJ.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger