.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Frank

Viki
Tuesday, August 17, 2004
 
Firefox - The Browser, Reloaded
Today I begin my experiment with switching over to Firefox. Already I am missing the familiarity I have with IE, but it is probably purely nostalgia.

I installed the GoogleBar, and have to say that I definitely liked the IE one better. There are only four things I use on the Google toolbar--Blog this (obviously), the text box, a button to go, and the highlighter. When I remove all the excess buttons, the dividers stay, so as a result I have two dividers with nothing in between. Furthermore, I have yet to figure out how to move the toolbar so that it's nested within the File menu, like I had it with IE. Firefox doesn't seem very friendly with this, and I'm not very friendly with having three rows of toolbars. I needs my real estate!

Anyways, I'll continue to update as things go on. I've used IE since about version 1 (I used to work at MS), but I'm sick of it. Out with the old...

UPDATE Some things are definitely starting to annoy me.

First of all, where is this alleged "tabbed browsing" I keep reading about? Why don't popup links go into new tabs? Why can't I choose that as an option? I go to many blog and linkdump sites where the links open in new windows. Why not new tabs?

Second of all, the triple toolbar is really getting to me. I hate to see all that wasted space to the right. Yar.

Third, I hate the image icons that come up before the image loads. Just load the damn image! Jesus. I don't want to see the page all jumping and skipping around because Firefox can't figure out that the image is smaller than the icon it uses to mark the image before it loads. This reminds me of the bad old days when some browsers would load B&W pre-images before the actual images.

Fourth, I hate to say it, but Firefox is slower than IE. I dunno why, but it definitely feels like it. However, I will chalk this up to a bit of "not used to the new stuff", and will wait before I pronounce my judgement thusly.
Comments:
I almost hate to say it, but a lot of these issues have worked themselves out. Firefox is rocking.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger