.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Frank

Viki
Thursday, June 24, 2004
 
The Spider-Man of India
Gotham Comics has a press release concerning the new Spider-Man.

Totally redesigned for India, this spiderman looks the same from the waist up, but has a kind of skirt and belt from the waist down. He wears roomy, high-water Indian pants, and has on Aladdin boots.*

I don't like the new design. While I enjoy the attempt at doing something fresh, I think it falls short. For one, his proportions are all out of whack. This guy would need a belt the size of a cumberbund to cover his waist. His dangling arms don't even reach his crotch. Plus, there is too much emphasis on the billowing cloth of his...whatever they call that top. I have no idea. But unless it is made to look like a third pair of limbs, the photos I see ultimately distract from the classical Spider-Man movements--limbs all a-gangle, stretching out hither and thither, flying through the air as if he'd been catapulted, yet strangely in control.

I hope they get these designs under control. It gives Spider-Man potential to become the best re-designed character since Batman became The Dark Night (or when Spidey became Venom). I just dread that they're way beyond their abilities here.

* Please note: I would call his new clothes by their proper names if I had any idea what they were called. Someone tell me.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger